Alimony Enforcement in New Jersey | What You Should Know

Alimony is one of the most important divorce-related issues, as alimony payments can give spouses the financial cushion they need to move on with their lives after a divorce. That being said, there are times where former spouses will refuse to make these payments for one reason or another, and if you find yourself in this situation, you are most likely researching your options going forward. Our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Red Bank family law attorney to learn more about how we can assist you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is alimony decided upon in New Jersey?

When a couple gets divorced, New Jersey courts will often craft an alimony agreement. They will consider a wide variety of factors when determining alimony, including each spouse’s yearly salary, both spouse’s age and health, whether both spouses have a college education, both spouse’s earning potential, the child custody agreement, which spouse was financially dependent during the course of a marriage, and more.

What can I do if my former spouse is neglecting to make alimony payments?

Depending on the circumstances of your individual situation, it may be best to simply speak with your spouse regarding the missed alimony payment(s) and see if you can resolve the issue on your own. This may save time, money, and help avoid a potentially hostile situation. However, if you have already spoken with your former spouse and he or she has no intention of making alimony payments, you should speak with a New Jersey family law attorney who can file a motion with the courts to enforce your alimony agreement. In this case, they may garnish your former spouse’s wages to make alimony payments, they may order assets from your former spouse’s bank account to be seized and transferred into your bank account, they may place a lien on some of your former spouse’s assets, and more. In the worst cases, they may even hold your former spouse in contempt of court and issue sanctions, or even jail time, as a result of his or her failure to make the payments of which you are owed. If you have any additional questions or you believe that your situation calls for the intervention of an experienced attorney, give us a call today. We are here to assist you.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.