Monmouth County Juvenile Crime Attorney

Juvenile Offense Attorney in Red Bank, New Jersey

Children make mistakes. When a child commits a crime, they can be arrested or detained just like anyone else. When this occurs, it is important for the guardian or parent to consider the consequences that will affect their child. Depending on the seriousness of the crime, their child could face something as small as writing an essay to the devastating reality of being charged as an adult, saved for the most serious crimes. As a parent or guardian, your choice of an attorney is an important one. Your child’s future may be at stake. You need to pick an attorney that has the experience and skill to give the child the best chance of a positive conclusion. The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly is a seasoned law firm serving New Jersey. Over the years, our firm has fought for the future of juveniles who are arrested for crimes. If you need quality legal services, contact our firm. We will assess the matter and zealously represent the child. For a consultation to discuss a child’s legal troubles, contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly.

What is a juvenile crime?

In New Jersey, a juvenile is anyone under the age of 18. Even if a child turns 18 during a trial or proceedings, they will be tried as a juvenile, unless the crime calls for the consideration of adult consequences. Crimes that warrant the change in how a child is tried include murder, assault, and rape, just to name a few. These egregious offenses could upgrade a child to criminal court and even subject a child to serious jail time. For the most part, juvenile cases are heard in the Family Division of the Superior Court and are sealed in the party’s juvenile file.

How do most juvenile cases proceed?

In New Jersey, the caretaker will receive notice about the charges and the process forward. If the crime calls for it, a child may be waived up to criminal court. Simpler cases are sent to the Juvenile Conference Committee. This is a panel of volunteers selected by the family court to act on the judge’s behalf. In other cases, some courts will transfer the matter to a judicial referee, an attorney given the same legal authority as the Superior Court judge.

A child must have representation

Every child facing criminal charges must have zealous representation. While some adults choose to waive their right to counsel, this is not the case for juvenile cases. A parent or guardian is obligated to provide the child with an attorney. If they cannot afford one, they may request the use of a public defender. The standard for this is high. If the court believes that a parent or guardian can afford an attorney, they will most likely reject the request for support.

Contact a Monmouth County juvenile crime attorney

For over 20 years, The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly has successfully fought for the rights and future of juvenile clients in Monmouth County and across New Jersey. We understand the stress of seeing your child facing troubling matters. For effective legal services from an experienced law firm, contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly for a consultation to discuss your child’s legal situation.