We spend much of our time online and utilizing technology. As a result, computer crimes have increased drastically over the years. These crimes are taken very seriously in New Jersey. As a result, it is important to understand what cybercrimes entail and the penalties they carry. Read on to learn more about cybercrimes in New Jersey.
Most Common Types of Cybercrimes
There are various types of crimes that fall under the category of cybercrimes, including but not limited to:
- Cyberstalking: Purposefully engaging in a court of conduct directed at a specific person causing fear by engaging in visual or physical proximity to the victim on at least two occasions. This may include calling, writing, or confronting the victim in person.
- Internet Sex Crimes: Looking at, downloading, or distributing child pornography
- Identity Theft
- Credit Card Fraud
- Wrongful Access: Purposefully and knowingly accessing any data, computer, computer storage medium, computer equipment, computer system, or software without authorization to knowingly disclose any data, software, or personal identifying information
Penalties for Cybercrimes
Depending on the crime, an individual can face serious consequences. These consequences are as follows:
- First-Degree Crime: Fines up to $200,000 and 10 to 20-year prison sentence
- Third-Degree Crime: Fines up to $150,000 and 5 to 10-year prison sentence
- Fourth-Degree Crime: Fines up to $10,000 and up to 18 months imprisonment
What do I do if I am Facing Charges in New Jersey?
If you are facing charges for cybercrime in New Jersey, you should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney right away. A criminal record can impact your future in a number of ways. For example, it can affect your opportunities when it comes to finding a job, a place to live, and even your custody arrangements. People make mistakes and our firm is here to help. If you or a loved one is facing charges for cybercrime in New Jersey, reach out to our experienced and dedicated criminal defense firm. We will work to explore all possible avenues of defense. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.