Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Lost my Job in New Jersey?

Your finances play a large role in your child support payments. This means that if your financial situation changes drastically, your ability to pay child support may change as well. Read on to learn more about child support in the event of unemployment.

Do I have to continue paying child support if I lost my job?

It is important to understand that if you have lost your job, you will still have to continue paying child support. In fact, you cannot stop paying child support without permission from a New Jersey court. While you cannot end child support payments, you may be able to modify the amount and/or frequency of payments.

What to know about child support modifications?

If you have lost your job, you can request a child support modification. When making a decision about modifying child support, the court may consider the following factors:

  • Has the individual been out of work for at least 90 days prior to seeking the child support modification?
  • What was the reason for the loss of employment?
  • What has the individual done in the meantime to find a replacement position or alternative means of income?
  • Is the individual able to physically and mentally obtain and retain employment?
  • Did the individual receive and severance payment from their previous employer?

What if I fail to pay child support?

If you fail to pay court-ordered child support, you can find yourself in serious legal trouble. New Jersey courts may enforce child support by:

  • Suspend any professional license you may have
  • Placing liens on your assets
  • Garnishing your wages
  • Seizing assets from your bank account
  • Suspending your driver’s license
  • Denying the renewal of your passport
  • Seizing lottery winnings or other winnings, such as those obtained in personal injury claims

What is the age of emancipation in New Jersey?

Child support may end when the child reaches the age of emancipation. In the state of New Jersey, the age of emancipation is generally 19 years old. However, it is important to understand that child support may be extended or terminated early depending on the circumstances. For example, if a child decides to pursue higher education, child support payments may need to be extended.

If you have any questions or concerns about child support modifications, contact our firm today.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

If you require strong and dedicated representation for any family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning matter, contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.