Many people are aware of the consequences of drunk driving, but not many people know the penalties of drugged driving. Additionally, some people believe that driving under the influence of drugs is a less serious offense than driving under the influence of alcohol, but this is certainly not the case. Read on to learn more about drugged driving in New Jersey and the consequences you may face for a drug DWI.
Consequences of a drug DWI?
Like drunk driving, the penalties for drugged driving are tiered. If it is your first offense, you will likely face:
- Up to 30 days in jail
- A 7 to 12-month-long license suspension
- A $1,000 surcharge every year for 3 years
- A $300-$500 fine
- 12-48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center and applicable fees
- A $75 Neighborhood Services Fund fee
- Installation and use of an ignition interlock device
- A $100 fee for the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
- A $100 Drunk Driving Fund fee
What are the consequences of a second-offense drug DWI?
If you are charged with a second drug DWI, you will be seen as a repeat offender. This means that your penalties will increase. A second DWI may result in:
- A $500-$1000 fine
- At least 48 hours but no more than 90 days of jail time
- 30 days of mandatory community service, though if the offense took place in a school zone, 60 days
- A 2-year driver’s license suspension
- Installation and use of an ignition interlock device for 1-3 years after your license is restored
- Additional fines
What are the penalties for a third drug DWI in New Jersey?
A third or subsequent drug DWI charge has life-altering consequences. For example, you may face:
- A $1000 fine
- Up to 180 days in jail
- 10-year license suspension
- Additional fines
- Mandatory participation in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center
- Mandatory installation and use of an Ignition Interlock Device
If you are facing charges for a drug DWI, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. An experienced attorney may be able to have your charges reduced or even dropped. Reach out to our firm today. We are here to fight for you.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.