Have you ever left home and realized you forgot your license? This is an easy mistake to make, but it can result in financial consequences. However, driving without a valid license, or driving with a suspended license can have serious penalties. Read on to learn more about driving without a license in New Jersey.
Driving without a license:
In New Jersey, there are three types of driving without a license:
- License not in possession: If you are found driving without a license but can prove that you do have a valid driver’s license, you may have to pay a small fine. This violation carries a $150 penalty.
- Driving without a valid license: This may include driving with an expired license. In this case, you may face fines of $200 to $500. If convicted, you will also be prohibited from obtaining a driver’s license for at least 180 days.
- Driving with a suspended license: This is a serious violation. Driving with a suspended license means you are ignoring court orders and endangering both yourself and other drivers on the road. As a result, New Jersey courts take this seriously.
What are the consequences of driving with a suspended license?
If you are found driving with a suspended license, you can find yourself in serious trouble. It is important to know that your consequences are based on prior offenses.
- First offense: $500 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months
- Second offense: $750 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months, imprisonment up to 5 days
- Third and subsequent offense: $1000 fine, additional license suspension not to exceed 6 months, imprisonment for 10 days
Do I need an attorney if I am caught driving without a license?
In some cases, it may make sense to simply pay the fine and move on. However, some fines are extremely expensive. Additionally, you may face jail time. In these cases, it is imperative to work with an experienced criminal defense attorney. A criminal defense attorney will work to have your charges reduced or even dropped. Our firm will advocate for you. Reach out today to discuss your case with a dedicated attorney.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.