Often, the Fourth of July is celebrated with alcoholic beverages. While it is perfectly fine to have a few drinks with your loved ones, choosing to drive home afterward can put a number of lives at risk. As a result, New Jersey takes DWI charges very seriously. Read on to learn more about DWIs and the penalties you may face.
What are the Penalties for a First-Offense DWI?
In New Jersey, DWI charges are tiered. This means that your penalties will be impacted by your previous offenses and your BAC. If you are pulled over for a first offense with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08-.09%, you may face the following consequences:
- You will have to use the Ignition Interlock Device for as long as 6 months
- You will most likely lose your license for 30 days
- You will have to pay a $500 fine
- You will most likely have to spend up to 48 hours at the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- You may have to spend 30 days in jail
What are the Penalties for a Second DWI?
If you receive a second DWI, you will be seen as a repeat offended. This will likely incur harsher consequences:
- You may have to spend up to 90 days in jail
- You will most likely lose your license for up to 2 years
- A $75 fee towards Neighborhood Services Fund
- Up to 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- You may face a $1,000 fine, as well as a $1,000 yearly surcharge for 3 years, a $100 Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund Fee, and a $100 fee towards the Drunk Driving Fund.
Will I go to Jail for a Third DWI?
Receiving a third DWI can have life-altering consequences. For example:
- You may spend up to 180 days in jail
- You may lose your license for 10 years
- You may have to pay a $1,000 fine, a $100 Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund Fee, a $100 fee to the Drunk Driving Fund, a $75 fee to the Neighborhood Services Fund, and a $1,500 yearly surcharge for 3 years.
- You will most likely have to spend up to 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
If you are facing charges for a DWI in New Jersey, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your case– We will explore all possible avenues of defense.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.