Unfortunately, when someone is convicted of a crime, not only will they face incarceration, high fines, and other penalties, but they will also obtain a criminal record. In many cases, the effects of a criminal record are worse than the initial punishment for a crime, as criminal records are, generally, permanent. Continue reading and contact our New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about how having a criminal record may affect your future.
What are some of the ways that having a criminal record can affect my future?
If you obtain a criminal record, you can expect various aspects of your life to be significantly affected. Some of the ways in which having a criminal record can affect your future are as follows:
- Most employers in New Jersey require you to answer whether you’ve ever been convicted of a crime. If you have a criminal record, you must answer yes, and this often will drastically decrease your chances of securing employment at many places of your choosing.
- Oftentimes, landlords will run background checks before renting out their property to prospective tenants, and if you are someone with a criminal record, you may be prohibited from renting certain property.
- If you were convicted of a DUI, you will lose your license and you may also lose the right to apply for any commercial driving jobs in the future.
- If you were convicted of a sex crime, you will most likely become a registered sex offender, which means that the general public will know where you live, what you did, and more.
- If you are an illegal immigrant in this country, committing certain crimes may result in your deportation from the United States.
- In many cases, having a criminal record can prevent you from securing certain loans.
- If you are a divorced parent, certain crimes may affect your child custody agreement. For example, if you commit a drug crime, your former spouse can argue that you either have a drug problem or that you are simply irresponsible and incapable of being a reliable parent.
These are just some of the ways in which a criminal record can affect your future. If you’ve been charged with a crime, you need to hire an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who can work to fight your charges to help ensure you do not face these long-term ramifications. Give our firm a call today.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.