If you are someone who has been charged with a marijuana-related offense in New Jersey, despite the drug being decriminalized in many parts of the country, you still risk facing many serious consequences. Continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about the potential penalties for marijuana-related offenses and drug charges in New Jersey.
Marijuana Possession Charges in New Jersey
The first thing you should understand is that the amount of marijuana you are caught in possession of largely impacts the consequences you may face. That being said, if you are caught in possession of marijuana in New Jersey, you face a wide array of potential consequences, including the following:
- 50 grams or less: Disorderly person penalty, which may result in 6 months in jail as well as a $1,000 fine
- More than 50 grams: This charge may warrant up to 1.5 years in jail as well as a $25,000 fine
- Possession of marijuana within 1,000 feet of a school: You risk facing jail time, on top of 100 hours of community service and even higher fines
Charges Regarding the Sale/Distribution of Marijuana in New Jersey
If you are someone who has been caught selling marijuana in New Jersey, you risk facing very high penalties, which is why you must consider hiring an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney. The penalties you may face are as follows:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years in jail and a $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years in jail and a $25,000 fine
- Between 5 pounds and 25 pounds: Up to 10 years in jail and a $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Up to 20 years in jail and a $300,000 fine
- If you are caught selling marijuana within 1000 feet of a school or school bus: Up to 5 years in jail and a $150,000 fine
- To a pregnant woman or a minor: You risk having your penalties doubled.
Penalties for Growing Marijuana in New Jersey
For cultivating or growing marijuana in New Jersey, you risk the following penalties:
- Between 1 ounce and 5 pounds (less than 10 plants): Up to 5 years in jail and a $25,000 fine
- Between 5 and 25 pounds (10, but less than 50 plants): Up to 10 years in jail and a $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds, or 50+ plants: Up to 20 years in jail and a $300,000 fine
Our firm is here to help you fight any of the aforementioned charges–all you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call today.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.