Parental Alienation in New Jersey & How You Can Stop It

There are few parts of life that are more emotional than divorce. Divorce, almost undeniably, takes a toll on all parties involved, though children often take divorce the hardest. Fortunately, many parents realize this and will do whatever they can to mitigate the sting of divorce for their children. This means splitting child custody evenly, taking care of the child to the best of their ability, and remaining neutral when it comes to speaking about their former spouse. However, this is not always the case, and oftentimes, former spouses let their emotions take control, and as a result, they will end up badmouthing their former spouse or otherwise taking actions to sabotage the child’s relationship with their former spouse. While it may be tempting to do so, all of the experts tell us that badmouthing your former spouse to your child is one of the most harmful things you can do, and in many cases, it can result in serious childhood trauma that may affect your child for the rest of his or her life. This behavior is known as parental alienation.

Parental alienation can come in many different forms, ranging from subtle verbal jabs at the other parent, to full-blown verbal attacks, to even taking physical action to “save” the child from their other parent when the child, in fact, does not require saving. Regardless of how the alienation manifests, there is a very good chance that you are looking to stop it, as it is slowly damaging your relationship with your child, as well as your child him or herself. This is unacceptable. Fortunately, our New Jersey family law attorney may be able to help.

What can I do to stop parental alienation?

To stop parental alienation, there are several routes we can take, depending on the specifics of your situation. However, in many cases, we will request a child custody modification on the basis that by committing parental alienation, your former spouse is violating the core term of your child custody agreement, which is to always act in your child’s best interests. As long as we can prove that your former spouse is no longer acting in your child’s best interests, we should be able to modify your child custody agreement so that your spouse spends less, or, in the worst cases, no time with your child. If you have any additional questions, simply give our Red Bank family law firm a call today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.