Cybercrimes are taken very seriously in New Jersey. If you were charged with a cybercrime, it is crucial that you have a skilled New Jersey criminal defense attorney by your side. Our firm is committed to defending you and your rights.
What are the penalties for cybercrimes in New Jersey?
There are several different types of cybercrimes that each have unique consequences. The penalties of cybercrimes largely depend on the type of crime, who the victim of the crime is, and if the defendant has prior criminal charges. The following are the most common penalties in New Jersey:
- Fourth-degree crime: up to 18 months imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines
- Third-degree crime: 3 to 5 years imprisonment and up to $15,000 in fines
- Second-degree crime: 5 to 10 years imprisonment and up to $150,000 in fines
- First-degree crime: 10 to 20 years imprisonment and up to $200,000 in fines
If you are facing the consequences of a cybercrime in New Jersey, it is critical that you reach out to one of our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorneys to lay out your options. Our firm is committed to putting you and your future first.
What are the different types of cybercrimes in New Jersey?
There are various kinds of crimes that are placed under the category of cybercrimes. They include and are not limited to the following:
- Cyberstalking: This refers to purposefully engaging in a court of conduct directed at a specific person causing fear by engaging in visual or physical proximity to the victim on at least two occasions. This may include calling, writing, or confronting the victim in person.
- Wrongful Access: Purposefully and knowingly accessing any data, computer, computer storage medium, computer equipment, computer system, or software without authorization to knowingly disclose any data, software, or personal identifying information
- Internet Sex Crimes: Looking at, downloading, or distributing child pornography.
- Identity Theft
- Credit Card Fraud
What should I do if I was charged for cybercrime?
You should reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible if you were charged with cybercrime. A criminal record can have life-long negative impacts in many ways, including the ability to obtain employment, find a place to live, and even child custody arrangements. Our firm understands that everyone makes mistakes, and we are here to help you and make sure that your future is protected. Do not wait to reach out.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.