Though many parts of our society as a whole have recently developed a more lax outlook on the drug, New Jersey courts remain strict on all those charged with marijuana-related crimes. This is why if you were recently charged with the possession, sale, or cultivation of marijuana, you must read on and hire an experienced attorney who can help fight those charges. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the consequences of a marijuana possession conviction in New Jersey?
If you are caught in possession of marijuana, you may face the following penalties:
- 50 grams or less: A disorderly person penalty, up to 6 months in jail, and a $1,000 fine
- More than 50 grams: This is a crime, and you face up to 1.5 years in jail, as well as a $25,000 fine
If you are caught in possession of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school, you will be obligated to complete 100 hours of community service and pay additional fines.
What are the consequences of being caught distributing or possessing with the intent to distribute marijuana?
The illegal distribution of marijuana is taken very seriously in New Jersey. Some of the penalties you may face are as follows:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years in jail, and a $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds: Between 3 and 5 years in jail, and a $25,000 fine
- Between 5 pounds and 25 pounds: Between 5 and 10 years in jail, and a $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Between 10 and 20 years in jail, and a $300,000 fine
- If you are caught distributing marijuana within 1000 feet of a school or school bus: Between 3 and 5 years in jail, and a $150,000 fine
It is also worth noting that your sentence may be doubled if you are caught distributing marijuana to minors or pregnant women.
What are the consequences of being caught cultivating marijuana in New Jersey?
For the illegal cultivation of marijuana, you may face the following penalties:
- 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds (less than 10 plants): Between 3 and 5 years in jail, and a $25,000 fine
- Between 5 and 25 pounds (10, but less than 50 plants): Between 5 and 10 years in jail, and a $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds, or 50+ plants: Between 10 and 20 years in jail, and a $300,000 fine
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.