What Happens if My Ex Doesn’t Follow Our Child Custody Agreement?

There is nothing more important to a parent than their child. If you are a divorced parent, you most likely have a child custody agreement with your former spouse, which both of you are legally obligated to abide by. Unfortunately, oftentimes, parents will neglect to abide by these agreements. If you believe that your ex has violated your child custody agreement, you are most likely concerned about remedying the issue. Please continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorney to learn more about how our firm can assist you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can someone violate a child custody agreement?

There are many ways in which an individual can violate a child custody agreement, though you should understand that any behavior or action that does not work in your child’s best interest is most likely a violation of the core of your child custody agreement. Some of the most common ways in which individuals violate child custody agreements are as follows:

  • Exposing a child to an act of domestic violence.
  • Having a substance abuse issue.
  • Refusing to drop children off after their parenting time is over. In certain cases, this may be considered kidnapping, which is a felony.
  • Badmouthing the other parent to the child.
  • Having a serious mental health issue. This is not always a violation of a child custody agreement, however, if the mental health issue prevents the parent from being a responsible parent, you may request a modification to your child custody agreement.

What can I do if my ex violated our child custody agreement?

If your ex violated your child custody agreement, you should first try to attempt to discuss the violation with your ex, provided the violation wasn’t incredibly serious, such as an act of domestic violence. However, if your spouse refuses to cooperate or the situation requires far more than a simple talk, you should strongly consider retaining the services of a knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorney who can work to obtain a child custody modification in court. In many cases, doing so will give you sole custody of your child, enabling you to work in your child’s best interests. If you have any additional questions or you are ready to get started, please do not hesitate to speak with our firm today. We are always here to help.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.