What is a Post-Divorce Modification in New Jersey?

As time goes on in the weeks and months after a divorce, our lives change with it. That is why in New Jersey, many divorced spouses seek to revisit their divorce terms after a significant change in their life takes place. If you require a post-divorce modification, please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey divorce attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through the process. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can I obtain a post-divorce modification in Red Bank, New Jersey?

Various situations may warrant a modification to your initial divorce terms. They are as follows:

  • Your child has had a change in his/her schedule: When children take on new activities, whether for leisure, school or otherwise, parents frequently must change the terms of their child custody or parenting time to better accommodate their child.
  • Child abuse: This is inexcusable, and if you believe your former spouse has abused your child in some way, or has even exposed your child to drug/alcohol abuse, or another incident of domestic violence, you should be granted a modification to your child custody terms.
  • Remarriage or cohabitation: When a former spouse remarries, they may no longer require spousal support, as their new spouse can now provide them with the paycheck you once provided.
  • If our former spouse has come into a significant amount of money, such as a large raise or inheritance, you may request a post-divorce modification to spousal support/alimony terms.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: Oftentimes, when children reach adulthood, they are emancipated from child support, as long as the court deems them capable of supporting themselves. However, if your child is attending college, you may request an extension on your child support. Additionally, you may also request an extension if your child has special needs.

Do I need an attorney to obtain a post-divorce modification in NJ?

Though the situations mentioned above frequently qualify for modifications, you will first have to prove that you truly need a modification in the first place. That is why you should retain the services of an experienced New Jersey family law attorney who can use financial documents, police reports, school reports, and more to prove your case. Our firm is here to help–all you have to do is ask.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.