What is a Post-Judgment Modification in New Jersey?

As the years go by, after you’ve reached an initial family law agreement, you may find that your circumstances have changed, and you may believe that your initial agreement should better reflect your current circumstances. Please continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorney to learn more about post-judgment modifications and how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is a post-judgment modification?

A post-judgment modification is when a spouse wishes to change his or her initial divorce agreement because it no longer applies to their current situation in life. To receive a post-judgment modification in New Jersey, you will have to prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances that warrant a modification to your initial divorce agreement. Though these modifications are not always easy to achieve, with the help of an experienced New Jersey family law attorney at your side, we can gather and present all evidence needed to prove that you truly qualify for a modification.

What are some scenarios that may qualify for a post-judgment modification?

There are various scenarios that may qualify for a post-judgment modification to various divorce and family law terms, including the following:

  • If your former spouse is now living with another person or has remarried, you may request a modification so that you no longer have to make alimony payments.
  • If your child reaches the age of emancipation or is financially independent, you may request a modification so you can stop making child support payments.
  • If your child plans on attending university or has special needs, you may request an extension on child support payments, even if your child has reached the age of emancipation.
  • If you lost your job or received a demotion, you may request a lesser alimony/child support agreement. Conversely, if you receive a promotion, a higher paying job, or even won the lottery, your former spouse may request an increase in alimony/child support payments.
  • If you believe that your former spouse has exposed your child to a substance abuse issue, an incident of domestic violence, or any other action that may call his or her parental fitness into question, you may request a modification to your initial child custody agreement to protect your child.

These are not the only circumstances that may call for a modification, though they are among the most common. If you have any additional questions, simply give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.