What steps should I take after being served a summons for divorce?

If you get served a summons for a divorce, it is important that you retain the services of an experienced divorce and family law attorney. Upon receiving a summons, you must file an answer in response to that summons. You want to file an answer and potentially a counter-claim. What you do not want to do is just take the summons, and the complaint, and throw it in the drawer and say, so what. If you do that, and 35 days go by, the court will put you in default. It will find you in default.

The court will order what’s called a proof hearing, which is just a fancy way of saying that the client will come in, with evidence against you, saying that I want so-and-so out of the marital home. I want the marital home. I want custody of the children. I want alimony. I want child support. I want just about everything under the sun, and the court can award that relief to the plaintiff, and it will take the position that since you haven’t filed an answer or responded, you just don’t care. If you get served with a summons, call us. It is important that you give our firm a call as soon as possible and don’t wait a few weeks because this matter needs to be handled immediately. Call us the day you get served the summons so we can see where you are and we can see what needs to be done.

If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.