What to Know About Child Visitation Rights in New Jersey

If you believe your child visitation rights have been violated, it is in your best interest to retain an experienced New Jersey family law attorney to help you make informed decisions on this matter. Our legal team at The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly are ready to fight for your rights with you and your child’s best interests in mind.

What role does sole custody play in child visitation rights in New Jersey?

New Jersey courts rarely award sole custody arrangements. However, in some cases, a court may find that one parent is unfit to parent their child and will grant sole legal and physical custody to the fit parent. This means that the child will live with the fit parent and that parent will also make all of the important decisions on behalf of the child regarding education, medical issues, social life, and religious decisions. A parent may be deemed unfit for a variety of reasons. For example, substance abuse, incarceration, a history of violence, institutionalism, and more.

However, in a sole custody situation, the non-custodial parent can still be granted visitation rights. New Jersey courts are aware of the importance of a child to have both parents in his or her life. If a once deemed unfit parent can start to make a comeback and better his or her life, they may be able to obtain supervised visits with permission from the court. In a best-case scenario, a parent that a court once believed was unfit, could have improved themselves so much so that child custody arrangements have to be modified.

If you do not have physical or legal custody of your child and believe that your rights have been violated, contact our firm today.

What is an order for visitation?

If you are a parent that would like to obtain visitation rights to have access to your child, you will have to go through the New Jersey court system. First, you will have to request an order for visitation. An order for visitation asks a court to evaluate your circumstances and either allow or deny you from being able to obtain a visitation schedule. Only parents, grandparents, and siblings are the only people that can ask a court to grant an order of visitation. Stepparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins cannot request an order.

If you fit into a category that allows an order for visitation requests, reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys to help you navigate through this process.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.