Divorce is a stressful process and it can be emotionally taxing. For many people, a low-conflict divorce is the ultimate goal. Our firm wants to help make sure your divorce goes as quickly and smoothly as possible. Read on to learn some of the ways you can help make this happen.
How to Achieve a Low-Conflict Divorce?
The following may help you when it comes to keeping cool, calm, and collected during the difficult process of divorce.
- Practice acceptance. One thing to focus on when going into the process is accepting your situation. This can be difficult to do, but coming to terms with it will make the process easier. This is because it may alleviate some of the anger or denial you may feel.
- Be a flexible thinker. One of the most important things you can do in order to have a low-conflict divorce is to be flexible and willing to compromise. Go into it knowing that you will likely have to find a happy medium.
- Try to manage your emotions. There are many heightened emotions that come with divorce proceedings. It is normal to feel strong emotions and it is also normal to want to act on them, but this can impact your divorce proceedings. During this time, it is especially important to have healthy coping mechanisms to process these emotions.
- Communicate effectively. Communication is critical in any divorce. This is especially true when spouses are not on good terms. Be sure to leave your feelings out of it and speak concisely in a neutral tone. Having an experienced mediator can make all the difference when it comes to lessening hostility and conflict.
- It is understandable to feel misunderstood or disrespected during a divorce. You and your spouse may not be on the same page and that’s okay. It is important to know that your feelings are normal and valid.
- Focus on your behavior only. You can’t change how your spouse will act. You can only control your behavior. Keeping this in mind can be extremely helpful.
If you are getting divorced, an experienced attorney can make a world of difference. Contact our firm today to speak with an a dedicated divorce attorney.
Contact our experienced Red Bank firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.