What to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey

verdict settlement

If your circumstances have changed and certain matters of your divorce agreement no longer work for you, you may need to request a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What is a Post-Judgment Modification?

A post-judgment modification is when a spouse wishes to change his or her initial divorce agreement because it no longer applies to his current situation in life. To receive a post-judgment modification in New Jersey, you will have to prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances that warrant a modification to your initial divorce agreement.

You may be able to modify child support, child custody, or spousal support, depending on your situation. The following are some examples that may call for a modification:

  • If your former spouse is now living with another person or has remarried, you may request a modification so that you no longer have to make alimony payments.
  • If your child reaches the age of emancipation or is financially independent, you may request a modification so you can stop making child support payments.
  • If your child plans on attending university or has special needs, you may request an extension on child support payments, even if your child has reached the age of emancipation.
  • If you lost your job or received a demotion, you may request a lesser alimony/child support agreement. Conversely, if you receive a promotion, a higher paying job, or even won the lottery, your former spouse may request an increase in alimony/child support payments.
  • If you believe that your former spouse has exposed your child to a substance abuse issue, an incident of domestic violence, or any other action that may call his or her parental fitness into question, you may request a modification to your initial child custody agreement to protect your child.

If you are unsure whether your situation calls for a modification, reach out to an experienced attorney to discuss.

Contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated family law attorney. We are here to support you through all of the matters of your divorce and after. Do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.