If you are someone who was once convicted of a crime, or found yourself facing criminal charges, there is a very good chance you want that crime off your record. As you know, criminal records can prevent individuals from getting certain jobs, living in certain areas, and even taking out certain loans. The bottom line is that nobody wants a criminal record. Fortunately, under some circumstances, there are certain crimes that may be expunged. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about expungement and how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What crimes cannot be expunged?
Unfortunately, many crimes are simply ineligible for expungement. Those crimes are as follows:
- Aggravated sexual assault
- The distribution/sale/intent to distribute a controlled substance
What crimes are eligible for expungement?
There are various crimes or scenarios that do qualify for expungement. They are as follows:
- If you have committed a juvenile offense, you may have it expunged after three years
- If you have 3 or less disorderly persons convictions and a felony conviction, or if you have 4 disorderly persons convictions and you have not been convicted of a felony, your record may be eligible for expungement
- If you are someone who was once arrested for a crime, though you were not convicted of that crime, you may be eligible for expungement
- If you were convicted of a certain felony, there is a chance you may have it expunged
What is the expungement process like?
If you are someone who wishes to have your criminal record expunged, the first thing you have to do is hire an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney. Our firm has handled many of these cases and we can handle yours too. Your attorney will then obtain the records regarding the crimes you want to be expunged, and he will write a cover letter and file a Petition for Expungement. Next, he will attend a hearing that you do not have to attend, and they will consider your expungement at this hearing. If you believe you are eligible to have your record expunged, all you have to do is give our knowledgeable New Jersey criminal defense attorney a call today. Our firm is here to help you through every step of the process ahead.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of George J. Mardinly to schedule a consultation.