Will I Have to Pay Child Support if I Don’t Have Child Custody in NJ?


If you are a parent who does not have custody of your child, you are most likely wondering whether you are required to pay child support. Please continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorney to learn more about how support payments are determined in New Jersey and how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is child support determined in the state of New Jersey?

There are many factors that determine who New Jersey courts will create a child support agreement, however, as you may know, their primary concern is the well-being of your child. That being said, they will also consider both you and your spouse’s financial situation, such as your yearly incomes. If your spouse makes less than you on a yearly basis and your spouse has custody of your child, there is a very good chance that your spouse will be awarded regular child support payments. That being said, the court’s determination depends largely on the circumstances of your situation, which is why you must hire an experienced attorney who can fight for you and your child’s rights.

Am I required to pay child support if I do not have child custody?

Yes. Child support is not dependent on child custody–instead, child support is designed to help ensure that your child has the financial means to live a fulfilling life. Whether you have child custody or not, if the court determines that your spouse requires child support payments, you will have to make those payments. If you neglect your child support agreement, you can be sure that you will face various legal repercussions.

Under certain circumstances, however, you may request a modification to your child support agreement. For example, if your child gets married, reaches the legal age of emancipation, or otherwise becomes financially independent, you may request a modification to your child support agreement. That being said, if your child reaches the legal age of emancipation but either has special needs or plans on attending higher education, your former spouse may also request an extension on your child support agreement. Regardless of your situation, if you have any concerns regarding child support in New Jersey, you should speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorney as soon as possible. Our firm is here to help.

Contact our experienced Red Bank firm

Our firm proudly represents clients in New Jersey who are faced with matters of family law, criminal defense, business law, real estate law, or estate planning. If you require strong and dedicated representation for any of your legal matters, please do not hesitate toΒ contact The Law Offices of George J. MardinlyΒ to schedule a consultation.